Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
I don't know if this is where I should post this but if not please let me know. I have been putting some quilt blocks together on my first treadle machine and am having a problem and hoping someone can help. Have figured out that while sewing and when I stop to adjust my hold on the material it always leaves a larger loop on the underside. Now when I stop, my needle seems to go down or up on it's own. Do I just need to learn to stop and hold the treadle plate a certain way or is there an adjustment that needs to be done? Have never used a treadle machine before so do not know what I'm doing. THANKS
Crewsemj, I do a lot of piecing with a treadle. Usually my Eldredge Two Spools, but sometimes one of the other treadles. The best way I found to have the machine stop when you want to stop is to grab the hand wheel and stop treadling at the same time. I had the same problems you are describing until I started grabbing the hand wheel to stop the motion immediately. When you are free motion quilting with a treadle, which I do a lot with my Singer 15-88, you have to be able to stop immediately, especially when I am doing thread play with words or something like that. The treadle is going to keep going, depending on how fast you are treadling, unless you stop it yourself with the hand wheel.

Anyone else found a better way to stay precise with the treadle when FMQting?

Nancy