Old 01-07-2012, 02:58 PM
AntBird

Default New quilter/New to Message Board/Help in cutting squares & using cutting mat.

Hi there everyone, I am grateful to sites like this and so many knowledgeable people with wonderful ideas. I am new to quilting and have started my first quilt by learning some online tutorials. Though, i am so lost as to how to use a cutting mat and the cutting squares to cut my fabric squares. How would I cut more than one square at a time. It seems when I do this, they are not all square if I cut multiple layers of fabric at a time for my quilt. Are there any YouTube videos or other tutorials on how to do this correctly?

Thank you in advance! I appreciate any tips and help I can get. My first quilt top is not square at all and I wonder how in the world it will really turn out once I try to put the batting and the backing on. Yie!

Also, my daughter wants a purple backing to this quilt because the black has purple dots in it too, what are your opinions? I was thinking a lighter, brighter backing because of the black. She's set on those neon colors.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]301238[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn5255.jpg