Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM
DawnFurlong

Ok, so went to the other local dealer so I could see the Janome 6600 and the Sapphire 835. I believe I prefer to Sapphire. I really like the feature that you press the pedal and off it goes. No more presser foot. Was told the walking foot runs around $120. Yikes!!! That is steep. The price at the 2nd dealer was actually $979 - new. That is a sales price. The manager told me the price usually varies from the price it is now to about $1100. Funny, he recommended the Janome, though he told me he was a Viking person (has a Viking, sold only Vikings for 6 years). Said it was a more heavy duty machine. Especially if I was sewing on heavier fabrics (demonstrated running multiple layers of denim through it). Seeing as the salesperson at the 1st dealer ran very thin fabric through followed up by denim - and the machine took it with no problems PLUS adjusted for the difference in tension/pressure - I am not seeing the Sapphire as being a lightweight. I have the feeling the recommendation is more based on price.

I tried FMQ on the Sapphire. It was like a dream. Tension right from the get go. I am still learning, and I feel like I have to fight with my Janome 4800, it is so finicky with everything being just so. I actually tried FMQ on the 6300 - and seemed just like with my Janome 4800. If my speed is just a little off - have bobbin thread showing on the back. He agreed with me on that, did a quick demo in which he was able to replicate my problem. Some of his stitches were nice, some displayed the bobbin thread on the back. Ditto for me...some nice, others not. With the Sapphire I was able to get better FMQ stitches right off the bat. The thought of spending that much $$$ on a sewing machine and still having some of the same issues with FMQ that I have now - that's just depressing. I think the stitch quality seemed a little better on the Sapphire - but if so, it is not so much that this would sway me off the Janome if I were leaning that way.

Hmmm...some thinking to do. If I do go back to Joann's, I think I will try asking for the walking foot to be included, as well as the FMQ foot and bobbins. Definitely the walking foot at a minimum. When I saw the price at Joann's, along with the harp space and other features included, I thought that model must normally sell for so much more - based on prices I have seen on machines that feature a bigger harp space. I don't feel so pressured knowing that even on the higher end of the Sapphire prices, it is still less than the Janome. And if I am unable to purchase the sewing machine now, I can wait until the next sale comes along. But of course, would rather have it now if possible!!