Old 01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
cmw0829

Oh my, what a dilemna. I thought I was always a Viking person but when I went to buy a new machine, I didn't like the new Vikings - much preferred the substantial feel of the Janomes. I ended up with a 7700.

However, everybody likes something different.

I would be a little hesitant about buying at Joanns only because I've read they these dealers have closed with little warning, if any. If you do choose to go with them, be sure that the other dealer will service a machine not purchased from them. My understanding is that a dealer performing warranty work will be reimbursed from the manfacturer for parts but they eat the labor. One reason why dealers may not want to perform warranty work on machines they did not sell. Although I haven't needed warranty work, I know that my local dealer will give me a hard time if I ask them to service as I did not purchase my machine there. (For me, it would be worth paying the labor charge to avoid traveling to the dealer where I did buy my machine.)

Negotiate hard - I don't think they're discounting a floor model sufficiently. Once thing to remember - in the Joanns I've visited, the machines are still accessible to the public when the "dealer" is closed. The power cords are usually removed but people can still poke and prod.

Good luck in making a decision.