Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Crewsemj, I do a lot of piecing with a treadle. Usually my Eldredge Two Spools, but sometimes one of the other treadles. The best way I found to have the machine stop when you want to stop is to grab the hand wheel and stop treadling at the same time. I had the same problems you are describing until I started grabbing the hand wheel to stop the motion immediately. When you are free motion quilting with a treadle, which I do a lot with my Singer 15-88, you have to be able to stop immediately, especially when I am doing thread play with words or something like that. The treadle is going to keep going, depending on how fast you are treadling, unless you stop it yourself with the hand wheel.

Anyone else found a better way to stay precise with the treadle when FMQting?

Nancy
Also can be controlled by your feet. Just slow the treadle down with your feet and then stop. To stop needle, keep feet on treadle pedal and stop the motion of the treadle pedal with your feet. Practice stopping the treadling with your feet. See what happens when you stop the pedal in different positions ( front down, center horizontal, back down) and the position of the needle when you stop ( needle up or down). I always start treadling by turning the wheel, but sometimes stop with my feet. Stopping can be done with hand on wheel like Nancy stated or with your feet, just depends on what you prefer to do.