View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
pittsburgpam

Default "Just Because" quilt got a purpose

I started making this quilt just because... I liked the colors. I had a jelly roll of Moda Marbles Warm so I ordered a set of the FQs too and I already had a bolt of the background that I used in another quilt. It's just big, simple blocks that I could practice my quilting on.

My employer is in run-off and 172 people were let go yesterday. What really hurts, and is shocking, is that my co-worker of 18 years, he's been there 21 years, was let go. He's the same age as me but he has an 11 year old daughter and a 16 year old son. I'm told that I am slated to stay on until 2016 and I'm going to try and retire then. My situation is different than his as my children are grown and out of the house, I live alone, and I bought a little house to retire to already.

Anyway, I'm going to get this quilt done to give to him and his wife. He is on active status for the next 60 days so I want to get it done before he leaves. I know we'll stay in touch though. All of the QSTs are done, ready to be sewn into stars, and the strips are sewn to cut apart for the 9-patch blocks. It's 95" x 110".
Attached Thumbnails craig.jpg