View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Janis

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I believe each little mark on the machine has a little story all its own.
Each little mark means that machine made something at home.
Was it made by a grandma sewing her wedding dress?
Was sewing a wedding quilt?
Was someone sewing the family's clothes?
Was it made by a kid learning to sew?
Was someone sewing up a torn tent?
Was sis making a new neck tie for dad?
Did the living room get totally redecorated with new curtains and new upholstery on the couch?
Prom dress?
bicycle clothes?
school clothes?
baby clothes?
What do the scars represent???
I am beginning to look at the pristine looking machines in a different light. I think I've actually seen more wrong with the nice looking machines than the old beater machines. It really didn't take much work to clean that machine for mom and get it running in top shape once again. Mom called last night and I read this all to her. She brought up more and more memories. This is good. Mom has a lot of problems with her memory. She loved Hobo's story especially. I think I will print out the stories and give it to mom.
Thank you Miriam for the nice little reminder of what our little machines just might have been through in all the years they were used.
When I got my 1945 Featherweight, it had a few more and deeper scratches on it than I thought I wanted. I was about to try filling them in or covering them up, when I thought....... It's as old as I am, maybe a child my age did some of those scratches and they are 'battle wounds' or that the fact that the little machine was REALLY USED a lot and APPRECIATED rather than just sit in a dark place (it's box) and just waiting to be used. I'd rather have a machine that was loved and appreciated than one that just sat there 'in case it was needed.' Mine is really loved and I really like looking at those scratches. They mean love to me. They will not be covered or filled in, just polished and loved. This is my favorite machine and I lam thrilled to have it.