Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

it is an easy step to write or call a designer/copyright holder and ask permission if a pattern is not marked-but it does make it easier when they do add (their preference) to the pattern.
i have patterns that state you may make, and sell up to 10 of the item---always wondered---really? how are you going to know if i make 10=or 30===besides their hope that we are honest---they do hope for honesty-and really it comes down to not mass-producing
but i did work over a year on an appliqued quilt which i really wanted to sell- when it was finished i took pictures and sent an email with pic to the copyright holder asking permission to sell the quilt---they said no- i am not allowed to sell it- or display it on the internet- kind of bumbed me out- now i have a quilt which does not work in my world---is very large- is beautiful- i have over $600 into it and really don't want to just give it away---so it sits in the closet-waiting for me to figure out what to do with it--from now on-before i even start a quilt i plan to sell i will get permission first---if i use someone's pattern- i've steered away from using copyrighted patterns- the designers will just not get my business much anymore- i'll make up my quilts myself- it does surprise me when permission is denied- as long as you clearly state the design source on the label it seems like good (free) advertising for the designer- but i guess some people have other ideas-
anyway- if you use a copyrighted pattern you should always make sure to get permission before selling the item- and be sure to include the pattern source (name and designer) on the label....copyright infringement penalties can be stiff many people tend to blow this off- and believe it is ridiculous (maybe) and a waste- how will anyone know---but when a person does get caught---boy---it's really not worth the penalties---