Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
it is an easy step to write or call a designer/copyright holder and ask permission if a pattern is not marked-but it does make it easier when they do add (their preference) to the pattern.
i have patterns that state you may make, and sell up to 10 of the item---always wondered---really? how are you going to know if i make 10=or 30===besides their hope that we are honest---they do hope for honesty-and really it comes down to not mass-producing
but i did work over a year on an appliqued quilt which i really wanted to sell- when it was finished i took pictures and sent an email with pic to the copyright holder asking permission to sell the quilt---they said no- i am not allowed to sell it- or display it on the internet- kind of bumbed me out- now i have a quilt which does not work in my world---is very large- is beautiful- i have over $600 into it and really don't want to just give it away---so it sits in the closet-waiting for me to figure out what to do with it--from now on-before i even start a quilt i plan to sell i will get permission first---if i use someone's pattern- i've steered away from using copyrighted patterns- the designers will just not get my business much anymore- i'll make up my quilts myself- it does surprise me when permission is denied- as long as you clearly state the design source on the label it seems like good (free) advertising for the designer- but i guess some people have other ideas-
anyway- if you use a copyrighted pattern you should always make sure to get permission before selling the item- and be sure to include the pattern source (name and designer) on the label....copyright infringement penalties can be stiff many people tend to blow this off- and believe it is ridiculous (maybe) and a waste- how will anyone know---but when a person does get caught---boy---it's really not worth the penalties---
No pattern designer has the right to tell you what you can or can't do with something YOU make. The law does not give them that right and it never will. Sell your quilt.