View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Judi in Ohio

Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
I have been quilting for just a little over a year now and I cannot believe the large box of left over material that I have accumulated. Does anyone really use left overs to make quilts? Do you cut strips or 5" blocks? I don't know where to start - any hints will be greatlty appreciated.
Thanks
NormaBeth
When I started quilting I knew I was going to be a scrappy quilter. I think single fabric quilts are boring. Like one fabric for red, one for black, etc. I want many reds, many blacks. When I met Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville I thought I had died and gone to heaven. She is the ultimate scrappy quilter. She has a scrappers way to keep your stash managable. She uses 1 1/2", 2", & 2 1/2" strips - mine has gotten so large I am dividing into neutral boxes and med, dark boxes - next I will have to seperate the med & darks. Having the neutrals seperated is wonderful. I have a large 1 1/2" neutral strip box, and a large container divided into half with 2" on one side & 2 1/2" strips on the other. It's easy to just go to the neutral box and pull out a handful and cut my 2 1/2 squares, or Bonnie has specialty rulers she uses for hst & such to use with these sizes. I never cut nickels ahead of time, if I need them I will cut 5" strips.
and make some.
Everyone like to come see my fabric collection because my dh has made some unique storage areas. For instance I have an old type unit, that has narrow wide & deep drawers. All my fat quarters are layed out in color drawers with just a lip of color showing, all the way to the back of the drawer. My yardage is in a big closet, easy to see. I have an old tv entertainment center that my dh converted to storage that is lovely. Finding unique storage pieces is the answer I think. Of course, I have spilled out of my sewing room and taken over another room. My dh is a woodworker so he understands.
Bonnie is at www.quiltville.com
Judi