Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
DogHouseMom

The quilting process is my favorite part of quilting! It used to be the planning, but now that I'm very comfortable with FMQ, the quilting is without a doubt my favorite part.

I quilt on a domestic machine - a Janome 6600 which has a fairly wide harp (which is why I purchased it).

Three times I've tried using long or mid arm machines, and twice I've tried using domestic machines on a frame. I just don't like moving the machine instead of the quilt ... it's totally different for me and it just doesn't feel the same. Perhaps it's because I have more practice with the tradition method of FMQ on a domestic ... but I feel I have a lot more control when I'm holding the fabric as opposed to holding handles on a machine, or in some cases moving the framework (for domestics that were set up on small frames like a Flynn type thing).

I would LOVE to have a mid or long arm that I can recess in a big table! I want to quilt the way I do, but I would love the additional harp space. I know they sell them, and some day I might justify the cost - but not yet.