Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
MY "white" featherweight is also a EY series and my original instruction book also has a copyright of 1964.. Your serial number is less than 1400 before from mine. I bought mine new on 5-2-1969. Singer stores were closing them out at a price of $88.00. Boy do I wish I had bought all of them at that price. <GG> This may be of interest: I paid $88.00 + $4.40 in taxes. Paid $12.40 down and paid $5.00 a month on "MY 1 to 36 Credit Plan Account with the Singer Company" with my mother co-signing.

From all that I have read and heard over the years, I suspect that these late serial number machines sat in a warehouse and didn't sell. So Singer unloaded them at clearance prices. Therefore, the date of mfg was after June 1965 (the EX series)and before May 1969 (my dated machine).

Cathy
I love the story of your machine, very sweet deal!- and interesting history on the FWs. I always love hearing the stories about the machines. I wish some of my machines would talk; bet they have some interesting stories to tell.