View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 AM
QM
Power Poster

My DH began by liking very dark, rather plain quilts. The one he asked for most recently was a batik NY Beauty. 2 quilts I have made for others have been claimed by him. One was various scrappy greens with very large ladybugs. Another was a totally scrappy quilt. My firstborn asked for one totally colorful Star of Bethlehem and another that was black and white stars with touches of red. My second son left it totally up to me.

I think quilterella is right. I used to make queen sized quilts for my guild to auction. I took top dollar many times, always with a Western theme. Those are really popular around here. A friend always makes deer, elk, and bear themed quilts for the guys in her life (all hunters). In our auctions, the guys often prefer autumn colors, it seems. I think what guys like is highly individual, but I would avoid pastels. At our quilt shows, stars and compasses seem much more popular with guys than Baltimore albums. One friend's husband was really eager to have a compass wall hanging.

The attachment is a segment of my younger son's housewarming quilt. I had trouble finding enough browns for it. It was a hit.
Attached Thumbnails pt-bear-mt.jpg  

Last edited by QM; 01-10-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: another thought