View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 AM
vintagemotif

Singer 201 isn't the best machine to FMQ with since it has a horizontal rotary(bobbin area) vs the vertical rotary that a the Singer 15s, 301, or FW. The pick up of the bobbin thread on those machines (vertical rotary) make such a nicer stitch for FM. I own a 201 and 15-90. The 201 isn't the machine for FMQ that I use.

Since your question is a help me on my 201 and not which machine is best for FMQ, you need to make some adjustments.

First, can you post picture of your 201 rotary/bobbin area so that we can see the screws that you are talking about.
Your bobbin thread shouldn't be difficult to pull out since the bobbin just drops into the rotary area. Could it be getting snagged on a metal burr? Feel that area for burrs.

Second, realize that different threads behave differently in different machines, and that the 201 may not like the thread you are using. Also make sure the bobbin thread is the same as your top thread.

Third, sometimes it is the speed of machine to how fast you move the fabric that will result in thread loops.
Playing with different threads, tension level with those threads, and rate of machine speed to hand motion speed are sometimes the issue.

I have also found that if you have sprayed basted your quilt, that basting will effect the FMQ with these old machines. Sometime the needle gets gunk up with the basting spray glue and the result is loops and skipped stitching.

Last edited by vintagemotif; 01-10-2012 at 10:16 AM.