Old 01-10-2012, 05:34 PM
DawnFurlong

Well, I think I have come to a decision - and it is one I would have never seen myself making! After much reading, researching, back to sew on the Husqvarna again (2x), back to sew on the Janome 6600 again, I decided I was not going to go with either of them. I took my own fabric this time when sewing. The floor model Husqvarna didn't seem to much off of the Janome with regard to FMQ this time around - though I will say the 835 seems like it would be a lot less finicky than the Janome's seem to be to me with regard to getting the tension correct for FMQ. If I were going with either one of those though, I would choose the Husqvarna for a variety of reasons.

After much consideration of what I was really looking for - I opened up my search to straight stitch machines. I just don't need all of the bells and whistles. I actually have what I consider to be a lot of extras on my Janome 4800 - and I never use them!!! I have used only a couple of decorative stitches over the 8 or so years I have owned the machine, have appliqued with it once (would rather learn how to hand applique if I want that on my quilt in the future). What I am really needing is a larger throat for FMQ larger quilts, and a wonderful straight stitch for piecing. Speed is great too.

I narrowed my choices down to a Juki 98Q or a Brother PQ1500s. I was able to test out a Brother here locally. It is over an hour away to test drive the Juki. Plus it is several hundred more than the Brother. At one of the dealers I was at, the sales manager told me that Janome made the same machine for Brother, Husqvarna, themselves (that would be the Janome 1600 I am assuming) and one other manufacturer I believe (maybe that would be Babylock?). He said that Janome simply put different names on them for the different companies. Hadn't read that before, but the machines look very much alike, minor differences in features if any.

Now I just need to decide where to purchase from. It was $899 at the only dealer locally who carries this model. I found it on AllBrands for $599 and on Amazon for $675. Can't see myself spending $300 + tax more to go with the dealer (unless they want to price match - guess it doesn't hurt to ask - but somehow I don't see them doing that. They said $899 was a sale price - regular price is $1399 - YIKES!!!). I love Amazon because you can return things if you need to. The only reason I see myself making a return (or rather exchange) is if I somehow got one of those freak machines that has something wrong off the bat. Have read stories, it does happen. Of course I love the price at AllBrands - and it seems many from this board have ordered from them and are very happy. I think it will be 4 to 6 weeks before I can order. I am kind of wondering if the $599 price will disappear before I can order.

But at any rate, I am glad that I went back and tried the other machines I was first considering again, glad I did all of the research and really thought about what features were important to me and what was not, and that I considered machines I wouldn't have otherwise considered. It seems to me I will have a wonderful machine for piecing and FMQ, another wonderful machine with decorative stitches, alphabet, etc. - great as a back-up machine or to take to classes. AND - if I decide that I later want to get into embroidery - I can always look for another machine whose purpose is that (right now I don't see it on my horizon - but never say never!!). Or, I could always start a savings fund for what I would really LOVE to have some day - an HQ Sweet 16. Though that is more money than I ever see myself spending on a machine. But I did try one out - and I have to say it was wonderful!

Until then - I will become the best that I can be with the tools that I have. And feel good that I have stayed within what is more reasonable for my budget - with what should be a wonderful tool plenty capable for what I need it for!