Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well, my DH and I did a little day trip yesterday to pick up a Spartan listed on Craigslist for $20. I got the machine for $10 because it is missing its slide plate. The machine is in really good shape except for the missing plate, which I think I have in the storage unit. If not, I bet Cathy has them! I cleaned it yesterday, but it is not picking up the bobbin thread - it is almost like the bobbin case in twisted or something? This machine may have to go to Cathy for a once over! I am going to play with it a little more and see if I can figure out why when I try to pick up the bobbin thread, the top thread catches around the bobbin race/case thingy and gets stuck!

We stopped at a couple antigue stores/thrift stores on the way home with no luck. We also stopped at a flea market and I picked up a Pfaff Hobby 4228 for $15 because it is missing the foot pedal/cord. I know, plastic wonder, not a vintage machine, but I have a soft spot for Pfaffs. Anyway, we searched the internet last night and the Hobby 4228 is not even listed anywhere! I think I bought an anomaly!!!! It is like it doesn't exist! I searched all over to find a manual, a picture, a foot pedal and we can't even find a 4228? Geeze! I think, I know why it was so cheap - besides missing the foot pedal and cord - it really doesn't exist! I am going to take it over to our Sewing Repair shop and see if Oscar can fit it with a foot pedal and cord. We found several, what they refer to as Universal Plugs, but none are shaped like what this machine uses. It seems, I always find the weird stuff!

Nancy
Nancy, sounds like a machine made for another country. If so, the voltage will be different, 220/240. Check your machine to see if there is a plate stating the voltage. USA is 120. Most likely another reason why there is no cord and foot pedal.

My singer 201-3 came with a 220V motor, but I was very happy to give it a motorectomy since I wanted a 201 to treadle.

Congrats on your Spartan.