Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 AM
tarheel*girl

Cool Fitting a modern Brother machine to a vintage Stradivaro cabinet/desk?

Good morning! I'm new here but have just spent the last 6 hours reading through many threads and drooling over some of your craft spaces. I do believe I have found a new home away from home.

A couple months ago, I scored a BEAUTIFUL Stradivaro abinet with the original machine AND instruction book for just $25.00! It appears to be made of mahogany, with drawers on either side and double leaves that open up to a huge work area. I'm still in the toddler stages of sewing so I am a bit intimidated by the gorgeous aqua colored machine but I would love to be able to retrofit my Brother SQ-9000 to the cabinet without causing damage to the cabinet itself. I know the top mounting "boards" (yep, that's technical) will have to be replaced but I don't want to have to cut the sides of the cabinet itself like I've seen in some tutorials.

Is my best bet to get a lift? If so, what do I need to do to make the machine flush and not just floating around on the lift? Please forgive my ignorance, but well, that's what I am when it comes to this - completely ignorant. I've been sewing on a desk but I really, really, really want to use this cabinet. I also know the machine I have probably won't by my only/last so I should probably keep that in mind when I transform the cabinet...?

I love and respect all things vintage and want to show this piece as much respect as possible while making it functional for my needs. Thank you so much for your help! I'm sure you'll be seeing quite a bit of me - I already have plans for a fabric basket, and if that goes well, a rug. *happy sigh* I already love this place!