Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 AM
belem

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Pardon my ignorance but a sprocket would look like????? Upon closer examination, I found the bottom black gear crumbled when touched with a screwdriver. Is this something I can replace and where would I get one?
Hi MissEva, sprocket is just a similar word for gear. I used it to differentiate the upper ones connecting the motor from the bottom ones driving the timing belt.

Well, you did great with the diagnostics and it looks like the upper black gear is damaged to the point that it would not engage when the white gear turns (it is supposed to turn when the white gear turns). Just make sure that if you hand turn the bottom right sprocket (the gear holding the timing belt) it then turns the timing belt and then bottom left sprocket turns the hook-loop mechanism that you pointed out in your photo. This way we will make sure everything else is working fine.

You can buy the damaged gear at many places selling singer spare parts. Here is one for $6 on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Verti...item3a6efa8db7

I will separately post for you the steps to replace the gear and the steps to adjust the "needle-hook timing" which sounds complex but it just means we need to adjust the exact turn position of the bobbin part to catch the needle thread as it comes down.

Do not hesitate to ask me any questions. Have a great day!

Last edited by belem; 01-12-2012 at 07:35 AM.