View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM
AshleyR

I have to add to this: This happened to my grandfather, who is close to 90. My "cousin" called him from Canada and said, "Don't tell mom or dad, just help me out". This guy knew my cousin's name and my granddad's name. Luckily, my granddad is such an @$$ that he didn't care if any of his grandkids end up in jail. But the scammers had done their homework and knew the background information.

About a year ago, I started getting calls from a very hard-to-understand man on my cell phone (that I never give out. Ever.) that my father had taken out a pay-day loan and had put me down as a reference and he was late on payment and I needed to pay his loan or go to jail. I laughed and told him to come and arrest me! I'm still walking the streets, even though he (or someone else in the "call center") continued to harrass me until I changed phone numbers.

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
Just a warning...there is a new scam out there. A man or woman calls and says they are your oldest grandchild. You will supply the name. They are in trouble, hurt or in jail in a foreign land and need money. Beware this is a scam to get your money. I know my grand children's names so if they want you to identify them be suspicious. I have gotten called twice, by a male and a female with variations on a scheme. I did not bite and they hung up abruptly. Best to hang up and then if you really think it was a family member call them back. You can always give an apology and explain but you won't get your money back if it is a scam.