Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Drue

I make mine as well whenI can't find a pattern I like already made up...they are always too big. My ironing board was purchased by my mom at goodwill in about 1939 or 1940. It's wood and it's narrow and I love it. A few years ago, I took it all the way down to the wood. I'd never done that before. I always left a muslin covering on it. I found n old wool blanket that had been cut into a couple of pieces and tacked on the underside of the board and then covered with muslin. When I recovered it, I used about 4 layers of cotton batting and then a new layer of muslin. I found a really cute cover at JoAnns a few years ago and bought two...has spools and needles and scissors and sewing notions on a creamy background...of course it's way too big for my board, but I just fold it under and then use my staple gun to secure it ( with 1/4" staples)...makes it easy to change out, just take a screwdriver to pop out the staples. Guess I need to take a pic of my antique ironing board and post it sometime. Good luck!