View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
oakdryad5

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
Baby quilts get a lot of laundering and abuse. Machine quilting would give the fabric more support. You don't necessarily have to stitch on every single hex. You could do a FMQ stencil. Please post pics when you are finished.
What is a FMQ stencil? I will definitely post some pictures. I am going to try to get some before pictures also and post them soon.

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
"I don't think tying would look weird, but maybe the fabric might be a little fragile for tying. " My thoughts as well.

But I would advise against machine quilting. IMO hand quilting is what is traditional for these kinds of quilts, although if it was a new top, tying would be OK too. You don't necessarily have to quilt around each little hexagon, I have done them with less quilting.
I hadn't thought about this..do you mean that it would be fragile for actually doing it, or for holding up over time? I'm not against hand quilting completely but I don't think I could finish it in time. Also the person I am gifting it to really would treasure something done more traditionally as she herself prefers hand quilting to machine quilting. So that was tipping the scales over towards tying for me, knowing her preference. I really need to learn more about tying though...

Originally Posted by humbird View Post
I tied a GFG due to arthrites and poor eyesite! It worked out well. I used embrodery floss and matched the floss color to each hex. Am getting ready to pin baste another and will do the same thing. A photo of mine is in the gallery. Queen size.
I would really love to see that! I tried to find your photo but there were so many posts? Is there an easy way to find it? Do you remember what the title of the post was? I tried searching but couldn't find it--also though I am new here so I may not be looking in the right place

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I am wondering, if I don't stitch every hexagon (machine or by hand) what pattern would be appropriate, like every other hexagon? or just the centers of the flowers?

I should mention also I have one alteration I have to make, the center of the the quilt as I cut it has a really ugly colored "flower" its black and neon green plaid..ugh. So I cut another flower of hexagons from another part and I'm planning to applique the whole complex (like 20 hexagons) directly on top of the other one. I'll post pics soon.