View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sunnyhope
what do u do if the machine only has the normal foot it comes with?
could someone post photos of the differrent kinds of feet so i undertand,lol

also i have on old janome machine but it doesnt say anymore on it than janome nr:731089069 so i have no idea what that fits that machine at all, i cant find the old instruction either since the machine is more than 10 y old :roll:
Most machines will take "generic" feet. These are feet that aren't specific to a machine, but rather will fit a whole category of machines. Some of the basic categories of feet are short shank, long shank, slant shank (most Singers fit into those categories, plus many other brands), clip-on feet (a category of Singer machines), Bernina (in a category of their own!). You can take a foot that fits your machine in to a dealership that sells your brand of machine and from that they can tell you what will fit your machine.

The number is probably a serial number. You need to look for a model number or a name somewhere on the machine; that would help. You can also Google websites with pictures of older machines to see if you can spot yours in there somewhere. Once you have a model number, you can usually find a manual online somewhere or on eBay.

A darning foot is necessary for free-motion quilting with the feed dogs dropped. This is because it "jumps" between each stitch, allowing you to move the fabric yourself (since the feed dogs aren't doing it).