View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 03:49 PM
barnbum

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
"1. Buy your flannel—2 colors, or more. I’ve discovered it takes 1 yard to make 10 full 7” squares (full meaning both sides). Most of my raggeds have been about 9x12. "

How many yards do you think you used in this quilt. If it takes 1 yd to make 10 squares, and you have appx 80 squares, you used 8 yards? wow, that's a lot. Did i calculate that right?
That is the tricky part--remember you're figuring for the front and back. I bought 10 yards for this one--but ended up using leftover blue from the back of my last posted quilt, Stepping Stones. Since I always use a variety I've never actually determined needed yardage. But--for the next one I have to--and I'm going to get 10 just to be safe. I make them 9 x 11 blocks--which is 63" by 77" (going by the 7" cut blocks not 6" finished) and it's 4851 and divide that by 144 (sq foot) and you get 33.68. Then divide that by 9 to get how many square yards you need--and it's 3.7 for one side. (My husband helped me figure out what to divide by.) But fabric comes wider. So--8 yards should be plenty. But--I like to do random patterns and sometimes need more of one than another so I like extra of each.

Hope that helps.