View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
QuiltedCritterLady

Default Jump in!

Oh my, you can't be afraid to try. Just jump in - I promise you it will get easier. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone has to rip seams out. I would say that the main thing is to be consistent in what you do. 1/4 inch seams are the norm for quilting and at some point, you will want to practice it till you get it right. I use an adhesive strip on my machine plate to keep my seams in line. You can buy one or just use several layers of painter's tape. If you are like me however, and want to plunge ahead before perfecting your sewing skills - do it! Get your feet wet and make your first quilt. What is the worst case - that you are not 100% happy with the first one and you end up keeping it for yourself? Think of all you will have learned by the time you finish that one. You will be so proud of it because you finished it and everytime you use it, you will remember how hard it was to get started.

The blocks from my first quilt did not exactly match each other in size. At that point I decided to trim them up so that they were all the same to finish the quilt - and I made myself practice the 1/4 inch seam so that my next project would be easier.

You certainly landed in the right place, because this board has the most fantastic members you can imagine! I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress; please keep us posted!