Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
kitsykeel

Originally Posted by Ikesgram View Post
I am having one knee replaced in a few weeks. If any one else has done this, I would appreciate any advice for
before preparations or what I can expect afterwards. Thanks in advance.
Have had both knees done three years apart. On the first one I drove myself to my first visit with doc. 2 weeks after surgery. He didn't like that too much but I felt so good. For both surgeries I went to a "joint camp" in the hospital the day after surgery for a week. Was walking on day after surgery and had to walk to joint camp. It was such a good idea, plenty of exercise and people to talk to. PT and nurse came into my home for a week or two after that. I have chronic depression and even though I healed well with both knees, I became very depressed after about two weeks and couldn't sleep. It was summertime and I was so anxious to get into my garden and my swimming pool, which by the way was wonderful for healing. I don't do well on pain medications so I was in pain for a while. What a bummer. Cried a lot. Normally I am a loner but realize now that it would have been good to have some company everyday and be as involved with others as much as possible.

Funny thing with the second knee. About three months after healing I started having severe pain from my knee to the ankle. Went to doc. He did all sorts of radiological tests, cts, mris, you name it. Came to the conclusion that I had an infection in my knee and that it was also loose. Stuck a 'HUGE' needle into the soft part of the knee to draw fluid, thought I would die. That hurt more than childbirth. Told me I would need to have this replacement removed, have a temporary put in, and wait three months for infection to heal. Then he would take the temp out and put a new replacement in. Yeah, right. Like I was going to have two more knee surgeries. I don't think so. Well, I went home and the following day I had no pain whatsoever in my knee and have not had any since. Go figure. Do you think he scared the pain out of me? That was three years ago and both knees do so well, I can even get on them (with pads) to clean my floors and garden. Whoopee! Best advice, do your physical therapy religiously and the best of luck to you. Let us know how your experience progresses.