View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM
JanTx

Default smaller quilt from larger pattern - oops

I'm wanting to make a small quilt - 36X45 or so - for a friend who is on the last step for approval as a foster home. My thought is to have a quilt for each child who comes to her. I'm using patterns, sizes, etc that I used when making Quilts for Kids.

My thought on this one was to make rails. Had a pattern that used rails to make windmills, but it calls for 6X8 placement of blocks with 3 borders - too big. Not only do I want the quilts to be comparable sizes, but I want to use 3 yards and have backing and all to cut down on costs.

Problem - the size I want does not allow the windmill pattern to complete. I can have smaller borders on the side - pics 1 and 2 or I can just not finish the windmill pattern. Note that the light fabrics make windmills as well as the blue ones.

Thoughts? Give up and just alternate the rails? I tend to obcess about such things and just want to sew it already! I have a girl one made that's just 4 patches alternating with solid focus blocks and know I will use that pattern a lot. This fabric just seemed to call for something else.
Attached Thumbnails img_0305-800x600-.jpg   img_0306-800x600-.jpg   img_0308.jpg