View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 PM
OHSue

First of all, I don't have a problem with canned goods slightly outdated, but I can afford to toss a $1 can of soup rather that risk eating something outdated by a year.
But, Botulism does not have a smell or taste, and a small amount can kill you. Yes heating the item should kill bacteria, but it should be heated to at least boiling point and boiled for ten minutes at least, meats should be pressure cooked to kill bacteria.
Next, our forefathers were not healtheir than us, they had a much shorter life span, died of simple infections such as an infected cut, had no chance of surviving any cancers and a number of other medical maladies that plague us. An infant born in the early 1900's had about a 50% chance of surviving to 5 years old. The rate of maternal death due to 'childbirth fever' was very high, a problem solved when Semmelweiss discovered that washing your hands was a good idea and maybe the barber wasn't the best person to perform surgery.

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I worked in a grocery store for 10 years. The best before on canned goods is really there so that the stock gets rotated. The amount of stuff that North America throws into the garbage is disgusting. I check the best before on a can, then look at the can (yes bulging or rusty does get tossed) But the real teller is openning it and taking a good sniff. Smells okay, then look at the product. Looks okay. Then give it the taste test. A wee taste will not kill you if the stuff is off, but you should be able to tell. Plus, if it is something you are cooking, the heat should kill off any random bacteria.

And remember that our foreparents had no refridgeration and seemed to be healthier than we are today. Maybe it was because their bodies got to fight off a lot of stuff that has been deemed 'dangerous' in today's society.

Throw out your antibacterial soap!! Okay off my soap box.