View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 AM
mthousemama

Default Preschool quilt help!

Hello quilters!

I am very new to quilting. Having only pieced one top together and made a rag quilt for my niece. I bravely volunteered to help with the yearly quilt my daughter's prek class makes. Good news is that it is only ever going to hang on the wall of the classroom. Which means as long as the top looks good I will be golden.

So, looking at the ones already on the wall I saw that the kids usually have a picture of themselves on a square with maybe a drawing or hand print. I was thinking of having a large block in the middle with a large class photo. then have the kids either draw a picture on plain fabric or get different patterns that reflect the theme and place a hand print on it. I am just unsure how to calculate the size as the class photo block will be bigger. Anyone have any places or suggestions on how to do this?

My other thought was to use smaller blocks in the middle but put individual picture ala Brady bunch style. Then have blocks made by the kids around the pictures. Again I have no idea how to calculate the sizes needed for this.

SO my real question is how do I figure out the right size for a quilt and how would I go about calculating it?

Thanks for reading this!