Thread: Rag Quilt
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Vanuatu Jill

I just made two in the last few months, and used all flannels-word of advice- don't use Warm and Natural batting between the flannel layers-makes it too heavy-also, make sure if you use dark and light colors, you wash the dark ones TWICE, then after sewing the quilt together (quilt each square "sandwich" as you go before sewing together) and snipping your seams, wash again with a couple or three color catchers! I used purple/lavendar/green and threw in some whites, and even after pre-washing with color catchers and using color catchers in the final wash of the finished quilt, the purple ran into the white and ruined it (well, my son's don't care-it is the "couch quilt" for watching TV), but it was supose to be a gift for my Aunt. I made another, using light weight poly batting, and it came out ok. I used 8" squares of flannel and cut the batting to 7" so the seams wouldn't be so thick and the batting exposed, and it worked out much better. I didn't have a pattern, so I learned the hard way. The first one with the Warm and Natural batting I didn't cut the batting smaller, so I had to snip thru the flannel and batting and my fingers were bruised afterwards! I used 8 across and 10 down, and it is great for my 6ft 4" son.