View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
wvdek

We have surge protectors on computer, printer, entertainment system, and of course my sewing machine especially since it is computerized.
I no longer plug my iron into the same protector as machine. I don't want to take any chances.
When not in use, I flip switch on surge protector to off and if we are leaving all day, pull the plug. We had lightening storm here two weeks ago that hit our breaker on top of pole. Had most everything unplugged because I knew storm was coming, but when I went into pantry/closet and turned the light on the lightening hit and the switch crackled and everything went out. Didn't know it was our pole and so 8 hours later, (thank God for generators), here comes the power man. My DD had to call him from town as we had no phone service going out.
As far as a brand, you really need to stand and read each package. All surge protectors are not alike and some don't even have a turn off switch. This is one item you cannot go cheap on. I think we paid $30.00 fro the entertainment system one and about $20 for the sewing machine. Some come with guarantees and replacements. My sewing machine one has special openings that have to be opened to place plug into so little hands can't get shocked. I also have my two lamps plugged into this one and instead of turning the switches on and off, I just turn switch off on surge. Hope this helps.