Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Lori S

I have seen some particularly ugly quilts get donated to charities. I have mixed emotions on the subject. If it means the recipient is going to go cold, with nothing .... I can see the argument for "at least it will keep them warm". On the other hand , I can also see the argument that "we cared enough to send our best.. or at least good".
I do keep inmind that different cultures have differnent tastes, some use color combo's I would never use. At an International Show one year I saw some quilts that would never made it in the door of my home. I also see some U.S .made quilts that the many thought were nice that would not have made it into my home.
So I guess my point is that not knowing exactly who is receiving them... it is tough to guage the what the tastes are. Who knows you could send what you think is a show stopper , and they may think it ugly.
I would rather error on the side of judgement that keeps them warm , rather than cold and hoping maybe this year they might get something to keep them warm.
You do not mention if these are made by indivuduals and then dropped off to your organization , or all the quilts are made from donated fabrics.. lots to consider.
As for Ugly fabrics.... cut them into smaller pieces. I have seen pretty quilts made from uglies.... its all in the size of the pieces.

Last edited by Lori S; 01-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.