Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Honchey

Default THE FWS Pony Club QUILT-ALONG Week 3 Blocks "At the Depot & Arizona" Discussion Page

Hi Everyone, I hope this goes thru!!!
Well, we are here at the 3rd week of this journey and I'm off to Bingo!!! AND I still don't have this weeks blocks done. I will be sewing tomorrow...I met a quilting buddie down here and now I know they will get done. Talk to you later, Honchey
Now for the letter:

Week #3--Bertram Eldridge; Stark County, Illinois</pre>
Bertram won his pony "Beauty" at Christmastime 1908. He sold $104.45 worth ofsubscriptions to win the pony, harness and cart that was valued at about $300.Bertram Niel Eldridge was born in April of 1900. He was the second of fivechildren; Ferne (b. 1899), Eileen (b. 1903), Ona (b. 1905), and Max (b. 1908.)All five of the Eldridge children are seen in the photograph on page 9 of ThePony Club Quilt book.He married a woman named Hazel in 1919. They had also had five children; George,Lomen, Phyllis, Lillias and Bernie.Bertram's father, Lomen, was a school teacher and Bertram appeared to befollowing in his father's footsteps by studying education at the University ofIllinios. However, Bertram ultimately chose farming instead and moved his youngfamily to be able to share a farm with his wife's stepbrother.In 1943, a young woman by the name of Betty Ann, met a handsome young man by thename of Lomen, whose nickname was Tuff. They married, and in the Eldridgetradition also had five children; Jan, Camille, Kathy, Linola and Jim.In July 2010, Betty Ann Eldridge, Bertram's daugher-in-law was interviewed for anewspaper article. (Someone had found a picture of Bertram and "Beauty" and werecurious about the history behind it.) She states that her husband, Bertram's sonLomen, had passed away in 1999. "I'm the only one left of the Eldridges," BettyAnn said, referring to the older generations. "My husband (Lomen) would havebeen elated," she said. "We didn't know any of this history. I supposed (theolder folks) assumed we knew all about it."Bertram died in December 1976 at the age of 76. I think that it is wonderful toknow that there is someone still alive who knew one of our Lucky Pony Winnerchildren. </pre>

Last edited by Honchey; 01-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.