View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
DawnFurlong

Thank you. Actually, I am happy with it. And I wasn't totally sure if the corners of the triangle should match the edge of the 9-patch. I know it is a very basic quilt, but the first time I used triangles of any sort, and first time to square up my blocks.

It was just that reading on squaring up a block, there were references to lining up on the diagonal and on a vertical seam as well. Then there were other directions that talked about lining up on the vertical and making sure you could see the bottom and left edges over the measurement that you wanted your block to end up at (ie, 6-1/4). That made sense. In doing so I could set the ruler so that I was cutting off roughly the same amount from all sides.

The main thing I wanted to make sure of - was that I did this correctly. Because I want to try more blocks with different triangles (up the difficulty level), and should I need to square up my blocks again - I wanted to make sure that I didn't end up with unintended consequences! (if that makes sense) Nothing like being surprised if you cut off the edges of your block incorrectly - and then lines/seams don't match up as they should - ruining the effect of the pattern.

My ultimate goal though, is to not have to square up my blocks. Though I have to admit I liked starting with fresh cuts on my blocks when putting together my rows. I didn't have to work to ease anything in.