Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
i'm lurking and enjoying your blocks. hand quilting on my last row of tri's, then i will do the scallops. have fun ladies.
my jane is included in the photo gallery bunch.
I can't remember if it was you or possibly Sandpat that posted the preferred batting to use on the original thread I started in October?? I have looked over the entire thread ...obviously missing only that particular post! If it was you can you tell me what the batting was? I'm going to Road to California on Friday and would love to buy it...
Thanks!
Monica

and - still have not found the connector to transfer pics if it doesn't show up soon I'm buying another!

I wanted to post a couple of pointers for the first 3 blocks. They are quite straight forward. I did not paper piece or foundation piece B4. Whenever possible I use a small 6 1/2" square ruler to determine what size I should cut all pieces - there are so few of them! at least so far.... I line up two sides with the 1/4" mark and cut pieces accordingly.

A note about measuring... I have found that if I place the 1/4" mark my ruler 'against' rather than 'on top of' a sewing line, I end up with a few more threads of width -- just enough to make up for the thickness of the thread and my sewing. Be sure to test what 1/4" is on your machine on a regular basis. It tends to change a little every time you have it serviced and sometimes even when you change thread or needles I have found. One of my LQS owners says you should sew a few strips together that are 1 1/2" wide and make sure that the center strip ends up 1" wide when you do so to check for the perfect 1/4" seam. I'm lazy I admit - I just check the measurement of the first pieces on the project I am working on, if I have to do it over again - oh well. But if it is right the first time - why should I waste time trying it with something else??

Getting back to B4...
I measured each piece with my ruler and added them to the sides of the center 3" square, centering each successive strip. I pressed each time a section was complete all the way around the square -- remember PRESS = straight up and down - no stretching of fabric allowed by moving your iron back & forth - you do not iron. When I had added a light strip to the square all the way around, I checked to make sure it measured correctly - such that the next 1/4" seam to the dark fabric left the right width light band - [1/4"] and so forth. A little extra work - but the result is well worth it!

Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 01-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.