Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Gladys

Here's my opinion. My Grandmother made beautiful quilts out of polyester and the backing was made from blankets. She, her sister (my aunt) and my Great Grandmother also made quilts out of upholstery fabric scraps, usually by hand. They are the most durable and warmest things I've ever seen! They have been washed and used for years over and over.

I suspect some of the quilts will not only be used for cover but also for doors to huts or dwellings, to separate rooms, wall hangings and rugs. They will be worn as shawls and often the only covering a person may have in terms of clothes.

What we think of as ugly might be beautiful to them. I see some of the lines of fabric that's made and I think How ugly, Who'd want that? Well someone does.

I think a charity quilt for Linus would be different than one going to Ethiopia where it may be used as a door to a hut or dwelling. (Not in sentiment but in the difficulty of piecing required and quality.)They may be used for hospital beds or wrapping the dead.

Some of the material not suitable for quilting could be used to braid rugs or make shawls out of to send with the quilts.

I promise you one thing for every quilt or fabric I think is ugly there are at least 2 people somewhere who will like it.