Old 01-18-2012, 01:52 AM
sewbeadit

This sounds like a great thing to do. I can see how this would work better than "pretty" because no one would want to steal them so much. Also when I am cold, I don't care what it looks like just as long as it is clean and warm! Think about if you lived outside in the freezing damp cold would you care what color your quilt was? No, but you would be thankful you had it and that it was made well so you could keep it!

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
the ugly quilt project is such a great one! our little sewing group meets once a week just to work on these- we've made 17 in the past 5 weeks!
one of the ladies visited the habitat re-store and found a dozen mattress pads, old blankets- when she got to the check out and told the sales gal what they were for she was given the whole lot for 50 cents apiece! we use old ties= make them so warm....it is really cold here-and we have quite a few homeless even though it is a small town area-
i found a place for old (pilled) flannel sheets---they work for liners- they are actually kind of fun to make-
and groups popping up all over the country!
great program!