Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Happy Tails

Sewmary, I couldn't agree with you more. Let me tell you a short little story. Many years ago, I had the opportunity to work at a house for teenagers while the original secretary was out on leave. I was asked if I would mind dressing the way the kids did, in other words jeans and tshirts not a business suit. It made the kids feel like I was one of them. The other thing was they took turns cooking lunch and I was asked to join them. Having said that, I got to know these kids fairly well. Their stories were very very sad (unfortunately my makeup doesn't allow me to not have very sad feelings for these kids) Anyway..this one day a huge truckload of clothing arrived from donators in the "Southend" (rich area of Halifax) What came out of those boxes was absolutely disgusting!!! (They had invited me to sit around the circle with them while they excitedly awaited to see what would fit them). One of the teenage girls turned to me with tears in her eyes and said why do these people think we could possibly wear any of this stuff. It broke my heart to see how devasted they were with the crap that was expected to make them happy. I don't have a lot, but when I donate to charity, it's still almost like new. So my point is, really think about how someone feels who isn't as fortunate as we are and how insulted they are with the crap we so kindly donate so we can get rid of it. Sorry to be so long winded but you would have had to see how devasted these kids were and how hopeless they felt.
Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
I view my charity quilts just like any other quilt I would make. In my world, if that charity quilt is not good enough to give to a family memeber then it is not good enought for anyone else. I don't believe that people who need charity deserve second hand quality or any old thing.