Old 01-18-2012, 05:49 AM
sewNso

gus, don't know who posted about the batting. but i'll add my two cents. i don't believe the orginal DJ in vermont had batting. please don't ask me how i know this. the vt musuem said 'no touching'. does a pencil eraser count?
for my dear jane, and i know several other ladies did this also. we used polyester, the thinest of whatever we could find. mine was very thin. sorry, can't tell you the name brand or etc. it was something i usually don't use.

the orginal DJ was in 'near new condition'. i don't believe she had ever been used. you would not believe the workmanship. every corner met perfectly. every point was perfect. sometimes it looked like the pieces were all one piece. her workmanship was just out of this world. i don't believe there was any square any place on that quilt that had a slight imperfection. there were a couple age spots on it. and for the life of me, i don't know why they didn't have a restorer clean it. i am a firm believer in oxy clean. i have used that on several saved vintage tops. and it just works wonders. i don't believe this would have hurt the orginal DJ at all.
and you would not believe all the different prints and colors that were available during the civil war. they matched anything we have now. i was just blown away. if i didnot know better i would have thought it had been made last week.

Last edited by sewNso; 01-18-2012 at 05:59 AM.