View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 AM
onaemtnest

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
Comic boards on Amazon are very reasonable, acid free and work well from what I have heard. They run about 100 for $10.00. I think that is going to be a summer project for me once school is out.
I too give credit to AlaskaSunshine for inspiration in organizing my fabric stash. Someone a long time ago suggested using the acid free comic boards. One year ago I took all my fabric out of cabinets and folded around the comic boards. I went through 300+ boards only folding 2 yards or more on the boards, I could get 6 yards per board. Anything over six yards is stored on the manufacturer fabric bolts.

I was able to go through my entire stash, determine what I would use, donate what I would never use, and spent one full week organizing by color and 3 holidays groupings. I didn't mind one bit as we quilters all feel it's fun to handle fabric, I found fabric that I completely forgotten I had. I 'thought' I was organized and neat but the comic boards now allow me at-a-glance to know what I have and what I need.

The comic boards work well, however they aren't as sturdy as Coroplast or styrofoam I'm sure. Mine are stored in cabinets and on bookshelves and are tightly against one another. For shelves that aren't full end to end I use book ends to keep them tight. Comic boards was simply my choice for economic reasons alone and for me it works well.

I bought mine from a local comic book store (we only have one in our city) and he discounted mine because I was buying 300, he sold them to me for $7.50 per 100. When I recently went back into the store to buy another 100 he told me that quilters were becoming his biggest buyer of comic book boards. :0)

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-18-2012 at 10:05 AM.