Thread: christmas trees
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
auniqueview

Lol. Let me tell you about Christmas trees. I only put up artificial trees now, because it seems impossible to get really fresh live ones down here. But when I was a young pup, I lived in Washington, Mo, and we had trees on land in New Haven. I wanted a REALLY GREAT TREE. So we took the axe and out into the woods we went. The tree I saw that looked PERFECT was really tall, far too tall to fit into anyone's house. But that didn't phase the guys, they just cut off the top 10 feet of it and brought it back. I had picked a gorgeous cedar tree, complete with little berries and even an old bird's nest in it. Lovely tree, perfectly straight trunk, and oh my....the aroma was to die for. We put the tree in a heavy - very heavy stand, after making another fresh cut, and put it up in the living room. Oh, it was just BEAUTIFUL! Sigh. I decorated it with strings of popcorn, cranberries, lovely ornaments, candy canes, lots of lights. Never had there been a prettier tree.

And then, it fell over. Grrrrrr! We righted the tree, cleaned up the mess, fixed the lights, replaced ornaments and candy canes, and ran wire from the tree to the wall to support it. Ah....that fixed it. Yeah, for about a half hour, and then.....it fell over.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! The stand it was in was wooden, in a cross shape, big, and no way should that tree have fallen over...and pulled the wires from the wall. We rewired it, cleaned up the mess, fixed the lights, ornaments, more canes.....and stood back and looked at it. And then....we nailed that sucker to the floor, lol. It stood until it was time to come down....and we refinished the floor.

Last edited by auniqueview; 01-18-2012 at 10:25 AM.