View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've been going to quilt retreats for years. Our group has one in the spring and one in the fall. It use to be at a Dude Ranch, way out in the woods. Well, it closed down and now we are having them in my town (I'm the only one who lives here) and it's not the same. It's a half mile from home. I went and slept there the first two years (I had an outside door to my room also, so when we all went to bed, I snuck out the door and drove home and slept in my own bed and got up at 5 am and drove back to the retreat and entered the outside door of my room and then came out of my bedroom, just like I had slept there all night...am I weird?). After that I just went for the day and paid to set up and eat there and went home at night. It was very reasonable, but it's not the same being in my home town. It's not like a retreat anymore. People come from (the closest) 75 miles and the furthest 300 miles. It's a great place with 2 beds in each room and a kitchen just for us and two huge rooms with tables all set up to sew in. We went together and bought two ironing boards and cutting mats and we leave them in the storage room for each year. I filled my car up with everything I had to take. Seemed like everyone took their unfinished projects because by the end of the 4 day retreat, everyone had about 4 quilts completed. I might go this spring, I don't know. I wish it was somewhere away from my hometown tho. But they are so much fun. You ohhhh and aweeee over everyone's projects and get to make new lifelong friends. We have the same people come every year. We're a close bunch. Or were, since I haven't been for a bit. But go, you aren't the only one who's nervous. Just take things you want to finish. That's my opinion.