Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Gladys

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
After more thought, I decided that I would e-mail the charity we're making these quilts for, tell them what we're doing, and ask if the quilts are suitable, or if we should do something differently. I received a prompt, and most wonderful reply, which I will share with you:

"Regarding the quality of your quilts – we regard quality quilts as the ones that best meet our guidelines and thereby are able to best serve those in need who receive them. So we’re not too concerned with how a quilt looks, but if it is practical and durable. As far as looks, we believe that every quilt is beautiful in its own way because of what it does for another person. It’s our/your way of wrapping God’s loving arms around someone in need and what’s more beautiful than that!"

She then went on to say that we should use not one, but two of our used sheets as filler in the quilts; apparently four layers of cloth will be sufficiently warm.

And I was delighted with the answer, because:
- now we know exactly what to do
- the people who want draw from our stash will be happy because we can continue to do so (without purchasing anything new)
- the people who hate what is in our stash will be happy because by adding the extra sheet in the middle, the stash will go away faster
- the recipients of our quilts will be better served by that extra layer of fabric (and this is what REALLY matters)

So this is a win, win, win, win all the way around, for everybody!

Now, I have to figure out exactly how to share this information with the group leader. Does anyone have suggestions for me on how to do that???
Yay for you! I'd just show her your email. It says it all, if she asks why you emailed the organization you can tell her you knew some places receive quilts that are used for doors to huts verses warm cover and you were just curious.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gladys; 01-18-2012 at 10:48 PM.