Thread: Discouraged
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 AM
DogHouseMom

Sometimes I too get discouraged or confused .. unsure ... about either a fabric, a pattern choice, a technique ... whatever.

My sewing room is the small bedroom at the beginning of the long hallway. I have to walk past it to get to the bathroom or my bedroom - so I pass it several times during the day.

When I'm having one of these moments I make a point of clearing off my cutting table (which sits in the center of my sewing room so is easily visible from the doorway as I walk past), and placing the "offending" quilt flat out on the table with nothing else on it. I have no choice but to look at it several times a day. But, in walking past and looking at it, I get ideas. Patterns suddendly "make sense", color choices pop out and hit me, new techniques look clear, and idea's come to me. If something occurs to me while walking past - I'll pop in and audition it, work out the math, draw sketches, or even just run it over in my brain some more. Eventually ... it comes. I've had projects (bargello are a good example as I usually take a lot of time auditioning colors/fabrics for those) sit there for weeks just looking at me. I've even had visitors make comments that led to the right idea. I may pop in and remove a fabric and replace it, make a quick sketch, hold a thread up to it to audition quilting motifs, and often I'll walk away because not every idea is a good one

So, walk away ... but not completely. You never know where inspiration or sudden clarity is going to come from, or when.