Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Candace, I'm a secret fan of your work. The first time I saw your avatar photo, which is a gorgeous quilt, I took a peek at all your other quilts that you posted. I love that you do the donation quilts. What organization are you donating to? Is this part of your local guild project? Or do you do this on your own? Do you purchase your own fabrics or are they through donations. I admire the fact that you put out a quilt a month, Bless you!

Thank you, that's very kind. I've been putting out like 2 a month if you count the rag quilts I do. I have a Studio cutter, so zip, zip they're cut out. I started the string quilts to use my own scraps and it became somewhat of an avalanche. Now, there are probably 10 or 12 women in my local guild that hand off their scraps to me. They enjoy seeing some of their fabric in the quilts and play "I spy with my eye, my fabric:>". One nice lady is also bringing me her church scraps, so I'm on scrap overload. It's somewhat of a brainless activity for me at this point as I've made so many, but I'll keep at it. Our guild donates to several groups, one being Chicks in Crisis, Shriners and there's a low income, mental health for kids agency (name escapes me) that we donate to. Our guild does make "kits" for people to make up donation quilts, but honestly, they're not very attractive. So, I prefer the scrap quilts. I do try to buy the best fabric possible for the backings etc. but do frequent yard sales etc. to do so. I have to buy the batting and backing for all the quilts I donate so it adds up. This is why I just love using my vintage machines(and collecting them). They handle all the wear and tear I put on them for these quilts and just keep chugging along!