View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 AM
carolaug

I have a Jamone 7700 which does have a nice long arm. It was easy enough to get it in the machine. the quilt was big I used my kitch table with the insert in that helped. I also folded the quilt on the table to prevent drag. I foound the drag of the quilt was harder to handle than FMQ'ing it in the machine, I saw a blog that someone hooked the quilt on the celing. I asked my husband if I could do that...LOL...NO was the answer. But if your sewing room is in the cellar you may be able to do that. I bet it would help. Good luck...you will love FMQ'ing...I think for me the thought of it was the problem because it really was not that bad. With the savings of not paying 100.00 to have a long armer do my quilt...FABRIC....for my next project.
Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
You will have to post a picture!!! I am sure it feels good to be done. I have an almost king size top waiting to be quilted. In fact, my batting just arrived from Connecting Threads today. I have already snipped all of the threads, the backing is pieced. It was going to be $150, give or take, to send it to someone with a longarm. Decided no to that as well. Am hoping to get a Brother PQ1500S in the next 4 to 6 weeks (for the additional harp space). Kind of waiting for that, but very nervous about attempting it. I can do a decent meander - but have never tried anything that large.

Your challenge is also mine for this year - bump up my skill level with FMQ.

Can I ask what sewing machine you used for the FMQ? I have a Janome MC4800. Have contemplated cutting the batting and thirds and proceeding with the middle section first, then moving to the sides. Or wait until I have the larger throat space on the Brother. Just not sure...