Old 01-21-2012, 08:31 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
It took me 6 years to do this but now I've done it 2 times in the last 6 months. I'm usually really, really careful because I know how sharp the cutters are. I always make sure my fingers are out of the way so not really sure what happened this time. Just paying too much attention to the marks on the ruler to keep things straight and had my finger hanging over the edge. Wish Granny was still here because she worked at Hunters and was a meat cutter. She had the chain metal gloves but never thought I'd have any use for them so when she asked if I wanted them told her no. Those would have been perfect!
If you are paying too much attention to line things up while cutting, then you are not using the equipment correctly. As CKCowl suggested perhaps watch some of the videos for some How To tips! yes, you've done it for six years without problems, though twice in 6 months is twice too often.

It's important to get everything lined up correctly. Put your hand/fingers on the ruler, check again. All this BEFORE you take the rotary blade in hand. And check again, that your fingers are out of the way. Then and only then do you pick up the rotary with your other hand and engage the blade. Acton! ... close the blade, set down the rotary. And onto the next step.