View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuilterKim
I am still having trouble with my borders being wavy. How many inches apart do you pin. I pin probably about every 2 to 3 inches. Could my strip not be straight? I know I'm suppossed to measure and then cut but everytime I do that I end up with too much or too little - somehow. So I go ahead and pin until I get to the end and then I fold back the excess, iron it and then cut on the crease. Is this causing my wavy borders?
Yes. You really need to measure through the middle, cut your borders to match that length, and then pin the border matching center points and ends first, then halfway points, etc. When you sew the border on, you need to ease in extra fullness -- whether it's fullness in the quilt or fullness in the border.

Here is a link to a previous thread. If you scroll down, you will see the post where I explained this process in more detail. Although that post is about squaring up a quilt, the process is the same for wavy borders. The waviness usually comes from sewing too much border to the quilt edge; the border stretches as you sew it on to the quilt. Measuring, cutting and pinning the border prevents that stretching.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15320.page