Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Originally Posted by gailinva View Post
Thank you for having the DJ challenge again. I've always wanted to make one. These blocks are so addictive, I'm loving it!! The only problem I'm having is the 1/4" seam. I have a Viking Designer 1, can select 1/4" but it seems to be a little more generous, blocks are ending up about 1/8" short. This never seemed to be a problem when making all the other quilts that I have done. So I had to redo a couple after adjusting my seam allowance. I'm loving the PP blocks and am jumping ahead and doing some of the easy appliqued blocks. I'll send some pictures when I learn how to load them to my laptop.
Gail - the only thing I don't understand is why it is happening with the DJ only and not with other quilts??? By now I am familiar with my own sewing habits and know exactly what part of my machine the fabric pieces I am sewing together needs to line up with to make that 1/4" seam. but it is consistent with all projects - have you changed the weight of your thread, size of needle, had your machine serviced?? If you are consistently producing blocks that are a little small, I would adjust cutting method and/or sewing line.. when I cut, I line up ruler 'on the' fabric rather than 'against' it - i.e. to cut 2" strip, I make sure the cut edge of fabric is under the 2" line - that way I have a few extra threads to make sure I can take a full 1/4" seam [or cpl threads more] without losing the full pattern. You can also make sure your machine's 1/4" line - or - the edge of your 1/4" foot ends past your fabric slightly.

hope this helps!