Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Corky

I suppose if I quilted it then it would lay flat, I was hoping to fuse it to a stiffer backing to avoid quilting it.

Love your projects, do you have pics to share?

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now View Post
I made a railroad themed play mat about a year ago (my first) and the grandsons still play with it. I used a cute panel, and then mitered railroad track printed fabric around it. After that I put a couple more borders for contrast. I then used a WalMart cotton mattress pad and a coordinating cotton backing. The mattress pad gives a lot more cushion and durability than batting would. I just made a street scene one for Christmas and mitered a highway around the center panel. I used a tone on tone blackish fabric and did a satin-stitch center stripe down the highway. I sorta free-motion quilted both of them on the center panel. I say sorta because I am such a beginner that an experienced quilter would cringe to see them. I did stitch in the ditch quilting on the RR track, highway and borders. I think they looked kinda cute and my son said the year old one is a good as when they got it.