Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 AM
nanbue

Smile Thanks you all I've made a decision

Thank you all who replied. I have decided to go with the Janome 6600. I liked the Horizon 7700 and understand that it is sort of mesmerizing pretty and has a lot of great features, but I tested two at two different dealers and the fact that it would not sew over a simple layered intersection on a pieced block was so mind boggling to me. If it was only one machine at one dealers I would say the machine needed to be adjusted, but the real red flag was that it happened at both. After having a bad experience with a Pfaff Ex. 4.0 which I bought last August, and the dealer took back I was not up for any thing that had iffy behavior. I picked the Janome mostly because my dealer sells Pfaff and Janome, and they don't give refunds, meaning I had to find the replacement there. I lost my confidence with Pfaff, so thought I would look at the Janomes.
Through this process I discovered the 6600 and was very impressed. I tried the Horizon too. But all around I really like the 6600 more. I found it quieter, as smooth, it handled everything as well as the Horizon and more. I would have loved to have the extra two inches of harp space but I think the 9 inch harp will is good. It is all of the most important features of the Horizon. I loved the Accufeed in both machines. The fact that its has four different feet to use is great. I tested velvet and silks and all the most difficult fabrics and the seams were even and precise. I also tested piecing and the seams again were precise. I had no problem with the fabric getting pulled into the plate opening at the very beginning.
Plus a big factor is all the information I was able to find on line, and from people on the various sewing boards have been extremely helpful. Please wish me luck. I should receive my new machine in a week or two.
Thanks everyone
Nancy in NY